Thursday, September 25, 2008

to infinity and beyond

Ok so I know I posted a blog entry just a little while ago. That was actually an entry I'd written a couple of days ago. I decided to give this event its own entry because it is an event of that magnitude. But don't get too excited. Last night we watched CCTV9 as China launched it's 3rd manned space mission with the objective of achieving their first space walk. I'm not sure what I was feeling as I watched the countdown and the lift-off. It was some combination of pride, nostalgia, and child-like awe.

I really am proud of China's achievements. It is amazing to be here while they are making these advancements. It's what I imagine America like in the 60's. I was also proud of the U.S. I really wish I could have watched the first moon landing. I know that is China's ultimate goal and that the entire nation is very emotionally involved, but I can't imagine the pride of watching your country win a space race and achieve what no other had before. And we foreigners were kind of cracking jokes during the t.v. segment, but I can't deny that seeing astronauts (no matter what country) strap themselves to a giant rocket still makes me feel like a young boy. No doubt there will be millions of young Chinese boys pretending to be whichever famous Chinese astronaut first places his foot on the moon. And that's the way it should be.

John

No comments: